PRG 211 (Algorithms and Logic for Computer Programming) Course Week 1 - 5
Week 1 Discussion Question 1
· What is procedural or algorithmic programming?
· What is object-oriented programming?
· What is the role of code reuse in object-oriented programming?
· Under what circumstances is object-oriented programming best suited?
· Under what circumstances is procedural or algorithmic programming best suited?
Week 1 Discussion Question 2
· Why is a flowchart useful in developing and documenting software? Why is the interactive Visual Logic flowchart program more useful than a manually drawn flowchart?
· Is a flowchart more valuable in documenting the logic of a program than just the coded instructions in the programming language? Explain your answer.
Week 2 Individual Assignment; Programming Development Part 1(Program Solution Proposal)
Week 2 Discussion Question 1
· Which features are commonly found in programming languages?
· What are the five key steps in the programming process?
· Which common errors occur in programs?
Week 2 Discussion Question 2
· Explain what is meant by a modular approach to programming. Why is this approach important?
Week 3 Individual Assignment; Selection Structure Paper
Week 3 Selection Structure Visual Logic Flowchart
Week 3 Discussion Question 1
· What is sequential flow of a program?
· What is branching within a program?
· How is branching controlled?
· What is the role of an if statement in control structures?
Week 3 Discussion Question 2
· What are the similarities and differences between single alternative structures, dual alternative structures, and case structures? Provide an example of one of the three control structures using pseudocode. Try to provide an example that has not already been posted.
Week 4 Array Structure Proposal Visual Logic Flowchart
Week 4 Individual Assignment; Array Structure Proposal
Week 4 Discussion Question 1
· What are the differences between a class and an object?
· How is event defined as it relates to object-oriented programming?
Week 4 Discussion Question 2
· What are the similarities and differences of the array and parallel array structures? What is an example of data that is appropriately stored in a parallel array structure?
Week 5 Complete Calorie Management Visual logic Flowchart
Week 5 Final Team Assignment; Calorie Management Paper
Week 5 Final Team Assignment; Calorie Management Presentation
Week 5 Discussion Question 1
· What is the role or place of structured methodologies, data, and algorithms?
· What differs between object-oriented and object-based languages?
· What is the role or place of object-oriented objects, methods, properties, classes, instantiation, and encapsulation?
Week 5 Discussion Question 2
· In which situations would you choose to use a direct access or random access file instead of a sequential access file? Give a specific example and explain your reasoning.